Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID and ICMP

From: roman () danyliw com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:31:11 US/Eastern

James,

- What rules used to get triggered in Snort 1.7
with the nmap scan?  Have you confirmed that these
exact rules are present in you Snort 1.8 configuration.

- When you exit out of Snort and see the protocol
stats, can you confirm that Snort saw TCP/UDP
traffic?  If Snort lists no TCP/UDP traffic then
mostly likely do not having it pointing at the
correct interface.

- Try temporarily turning of the stream4 preprocessor
(it does stateful inspection and reassembly), do
you see alerts now?

Roman

Forgive me if this has be hashed and re-hashed alrady, but I just
installed the latest versions of Snort, and ACID. ACID seems to be
working well. I notices my two sensors, but the problem is, All I get
are ICMP destination unreachable messages logged. No TCP no UDP no
portscans.

I fired up nmap against one system and I got the  same thing. I am used
to the 1.7 version logging all kinds of info when I run:

$ nmap -O -p1-65535 -sT host

But not this time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks