Snort mailing list archives

RE: OT: Oddity with CRII

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:12:35 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Mark Spieth wrote:

Erek, We monitor some 70 firewalls and see the same thing, some servers
are hit repeatedly and some only once in a while. The worm is random as
too the IP addresses it chooses to hit. For more information about the
worm look at
http://aris.securityfocus.com/alerts/codered2/010805-Analysis-CodeRedII.
pdf

Hey, thanks for the reference. :)

The analysis doesn't include any info about subtle biases in the PRNG,
which is what I think the original poster is essentially asking.  It
generates addresses in the 1-254 range for each octet, and then uses some
or all of them in the new IP address.

Now, if the two web servers have a different first or first and second
octet from each-other, that could explain it.  Machines on networks with
the same first or second byte as a lot of vulnerable IIS servers are going
to see many more scans.

                                        Ryan