Snort mailing list archives

Re: Blocking not friendly traffic

From: Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt () innominate com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:20:33 +0200

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 12:47:56PM +0700, ??????? ??????? wrote:

Nothing ... After some time my IIS5+Index server again infected.
Question: with snort I can block this traffic or not? Or I must
use normal firewall (like Firewall-1 or other firewall)???

If the alert is triggered, the packet already infected your machine.
So there's little you can do. Normal firewall won't help, because it's
legitimate traffic (the point of a webserver is to server webpages!)

If you want servers that work, stay up, perform, and aren't rooted
every other second, use Apache on OpenBSD.

--
ralf.hildebrandt () innominate com                            innominate AG
Technical Consultant                   Don't be afraid of what you see -