Snort mailing list archives

Re: series of questions

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 09:06:30 -0700

Succendo:

succendo wrote:

this is prolly a really stupid user error or maybe there all
related but here it goes.  first of all, I'm running snort on
a linux ipmasq (or nat) server with 2 nics one (eth0) is the
connection out, and one (eth1) is my internal lan. if I set it
up to monitor eth1 and then do something to anger it, like a
portscan from an internal box it reacts, but when its configured
to watch eth0 and I attempt to anger it using a shell it doesn't
react at all. when it is killed it says that it saw the packets
but no alerts.

Does it respond at all to normal traffic? If you set up some generic rules, say, that just log *everything*, and go about your business for a while (email, surf...) what does snort see?

Do you have $HOME_NET set correctly?

Are you starting snort with -i eth0 in your commmand line?

And when you say you're poking eth0 from a shell, that's still on your internal net, isn't it?

also I'm running it on a 486 sx with 10 megs of
ram the bandwidth is comperable to a t1 down stream but up stream
is only 15 kbps. is that enough horse power? thanks alot.

I don't think horsepower is the issue right now, but it may become one. My firewall/snort box is a Pentium 150 with 96MB ram but it's on a dialup...

...an *SX* with 10MB?

And when you say "..a t1 down stream.." do you mean going *out*?

urrmm.. I dunno. Could be dicey.

- John

--
John Sage