Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to review actual packets?

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:51:16 -0700

Paul:

I'm logging in -b binary mode, and because of the small volume of traffic here, I log everything.

Then, when I want to see what's going on, I have an alias in my .bashrc that says:

alias snortview='snort -dv -r '

So when I want to look at a binary log, I say "snortview snort0608 () 0606 log | more" and off I go...

I can also do stuff like "snortview snort0608 () 0606 log 'tcp[3] = 53 ' for example, and it shows me tcp stuff coming into port 53... That kind of thing gets into learning the syntax in man(1) tcpdump.

I do a full scan on logs using another alias:

alias snortcheck='snort -dv -l . -c /usr/local/snort-1.7/snortcheck.conf -r '

And then I say "snortcheck snort0608 () 0606 log" and it checks the log against the rules in snortcheck.conf

...one way to do it, anyway.

- John

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to Snort and just installed my first server on Red Hat Linux 7.0. I
am trying to identify why certain machines are setting off alarms. I need to
view the actual packets that were sent by the machine so I can see what URL
they went to etc. How can I view this info in Snort? I've already looked at
our web logs and they don't contain the info I need. I need actual sniffer
traces.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul