Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort behind host's firewall

From: "Hawrylkiw, Dan G" <dan.g.hawrylkiw () intel com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:08:43 -0700

Radu,

  I think you already answered your question.. Put snort behind YOUR
firewall.  If snort is behind your firewall (assuming it is in front of only
your servers and passing traffic to/from your servers only), snort should
not hear anything from the other servers.

If the firewall is shared with the "other guys", you're probably on a switch
(at least, I'd expect a co-lo to put you on a switch), so you shouldn't see
most of their traffic (maybe some ARP/chatter that is easily ignored).

You're better off not having snort 'ignore' the other guys by IP, since this
wouldn't detect things like smurf attacks or if their boxes were breached
and were being used to attack the subnet..

/Dan Hawrylkiw