Snort mailing list archives

Re: The lack of a "client" and "server" definition in snort...

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:07:51 +1200

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:16:27AM -0600, Jed Haile wrote:
What you might be alerting off is the actual HTML being sent from server:80
-> client:2301.

I know that - I'm sorry if my Email wasn't explicit enough about that.

What I want to know is if snort can DIFFERENTIATE between client and server
packets.

So, is such "stateful" matches possible? Is that what the stream2
preprocessor will eventually be used for? At the moment I assume it "only"
(trying not to offend anyone ;-) bundles lots of packets within a TCP
session to make them appear as one really large packet WRT rule matches?

I don't know if such "handedness" actually exists in the rules, but a
combination of "handedness" plus stream2 recording which host-port pair
instigated a session would probably do what I'm describing?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Special Projects, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417