Snort mailing list archives

RE: 1.8?

From: "Bill Gercken" <bgercken () providentanalysis com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:30:44 -0400

Ben,

You are correct. 1.8 is still in beta/testing. You can get a copy from the
Snort CVS repository which is available at: http://snort.sourceforge.net
follow the link to the CVS and follow the instructions for anonymous login
to the repository. They are more or less:

Assuming that you have cvs installed on your local box you can get a copy of
the entire distribution by executing the following:

Login:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous () cvs snort sourceforge net:/cvsroot/snort login

(Press <Enter> when prompted for the password.)

Then:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous () cvs snort sourceforge net:/cvsroot/snort co
snort

Which will create the snort tree with all source and subdirectories in your
current directory.

Another option is to grab the daily snapshot at:
http://snort.sourceforge.net/snort-daily.tar.gz (This is sometimes a little
behind the CVS tree for some reason.)

I beleive alot of people are using 1.8 (myself included). It has been very
stable. I have been running it in various configurations (and in various
beta versions) for over a month with no problems. You may also want to check
the FAQ at: http://www.snort.org/FAQ.html for information on the various
rule sets etc....

Regards,
-bill