Snort mailing list archives

TCP Window Question

From: <jess () jessland net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:08:47 -0400 (EDT)

        Hi, folks.

        While parsing through some printed detects, I found TCP SYN
pkts with window sizes of 512 and 1024. Those are supposed to come from
old versions of NT, Solaris or Linux.

        I know it's quite unusual to find such small window sizes (TCP
stacks nowadays default to much higher windows sizes:
http://project.honeynet.org/papers/finger/traces.txt), unless
the system is very busy, when the window sizes can drop to even 0.

        I was just wandering if anyone knew of a TCP stack which defaults
to such small values or any reason other than the above that can lead to
them.

        Cheers,

        JESS