Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort reporting and alerting

From: "Sid" <s_i_d_j () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:41:52 +0530

The idea is real-time response i.e. within seconds of the attack happening,
the ability to react. One option is integrate the IDS with some kind of
firewall and allow dynamic reconfiguration of the firewall thru' the IDS but
this option could do more harm than good. Another is sending TCP_Resets, but
that would work only for TCP based exploits and not DoS or DDoS or UDP
stuff.

I was thinking more on the lines of getting paged as soon as i get hit. The
problem is there are far too many false positives and the number of alerts
per day is too many. I need some kind of solution where if there is some
persistent suspicious/threatening activity i get paged (if nothing else then
atleast to impress the managment ;) )

Siddhartha