Snort mailing list archives

Re: Patch for stick

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 01:11:45 -0400

ISS' "fix" was to patch their sensor so that it wasn't DoS'd by stick, I
don't think they suddenly added a bunch of stateful analysis to their
system.  Additionally, since they're closed source it doesn't matter how
ugly they make their code to pick up some of the signature things that
tools like stick do (set IP IDs, TCP window sizes, etc) to make
themselves "invulnerable" to them.  We don't have that luxury since the
attackers can examine our countermeasures and defeat them simply if
they're completely non-robust solutions like were most likely
implemented in the case of stick.  We have to do better since we're
open, which is kind of a pain in the ass.  (But hey, that's why they pay
me the big money...)  ;)

     -Marty

Fernando Cardoso wrote:

<SLIGHTLY OT>

I fully agree with you. That made me wonder how ISS RealSecure is dealing
with it. That's the only product I'm aware of that has a fix to deal with
stick. Since I don't think RealSecure is doing some sort of stateful
inspection, has anyone has a clue on how this fix works? My guess goes for
the tweaking of the alert thresholds in order to avoid CPU full utilisation
or disk filling, but maybe someone knows better than me.

</SLIGHTLY OT>

Fernando

--
Fernando Cardoso - Security Consultant       WhatEverNet Computing, S.A.
Phone : +351 21 7994200                      Praca de Alvalade, 6 - Piso 6

Defense against forged attacks relies on the NIDS capability to statefully
inspect traffic, or whether the NIDS is protected by a firewall which has
this functionality.  In an ideal situation, the IDS would know whether a
given incoming packet were unsolicited, or if it was a part of an existing
exchange.  Snort doesn't keep state on all of the traffic that passes
through.

To protect against forged attacks, and indeed from many actual attacks,
you need to have your IDS safely tucked away behind your firewall.  If
configured properly, all forged attacks will register as unsolicited
traffic and be dropped before they reach your internal network let alone
NIDS.  If you are offering udp services such as DNS, then you are out of
luck - if you allow one stateless query from an arbitrary source, then
there is nothing you can do to limit this ingress traffic to that service.

The only proposed Snort alterations I have heard of involved watching
alert thresholds to indicate when a series of attacks may have been
artificially generated all at once.  This would only be an indicator, and
not a preventative measure.

Max

                      INTERNET MAIL FOOTER
A presente mensagem pode conter informação considerada confidencial.
Se o receptor desta mensagem não for o destinatário indicado, fica
expressamente proibido de copiar ou endereçar a mensagem a terceiros.
Em tal situação, o receptor deverá destruir a presente mensagem e por
gentileza informar o emissor de tal facto.
Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, you
may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you
should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply
email.

--
Martin Roesch
roesch () sourcefire com