Snort mailing list archives

-c switch

From: scott hutinger <srh () www mprojects wiu edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1970 12:11:47 -0600

Should -c be treated a bit different?

For example, I was starting up snort (debug version)
./snort -... /usr/local/etc/rules/snort.conf
This of course made snort think the rules were not rules, since I forgot to use -c before it.

Possibly -f (filter) would be better instead of needing -c for the rules.
I would think the rules would be a last parameter, as they are important.

Probably people would not agree with this, but possibly a detection of the rules and a verbose error that -c should be used instead of no -c. I'm sure this has come up before. I normally don't manually start snort, so forgetting the -c switch caused
all sorts of problems.

scott