Snort mailing list archives

RE: Call for features requests for SPPv2

From: "John Berkers" <berjo () ozemail com au>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:36:21 +1000

Hear Hear.  I have found the same thing.  In fact I have stopped logging
Portscan info to a database because it fouls up any ability to search on
unique alerts using ACID with nearly every portscan generating a unique
alert.

I can imagine that it would be a challenge to log a portscan with a single
source & destination ip/port when the nature of a portscan is to hit may
ports/hosts in a short amount of time.

Would a separate table in the db be useful for dealing with portscans, since
logging each of the actual packets in the normal events might overwhelm us?

Any other suggestions?