Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule Managment Tool

From: roman () danyliw com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:44:45 US/Eastern

Could be an extension to acid... Yes I know, it's just analysis. But it
could be a cool feature.

Indeed a nice management tool, but as you said not quite analysis.
I have no issues with including such functionality (and
intergrating the actual rules would be nice), but other features
are currently taking priority for now.

Another thing that could be interesting is to have a parser to include
checkpoint FW1 & pix logs to snort-acid-db...

There is definitely some prior art here.  Look at logsnorter
(in the Snort downloads section) by Jason Haar:

<quote>
This perl script scans syslog messages (typically in real-time),
picks up any "reject packet" messages generated by Ciscos or
Linux ipfw/ipchains and logs them into your central Snort SQL
database. This allows you to "expand"  the reach of snort
without having to put snort out into wierd areas - like
in front of your perimeter router/firewall...
</quote>

cheers,
Roman