Snort mailing list archives

Re: Range values for TTL

From: Max Vision <vision () whitehats com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 19:28:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Fyodor :)

There were a couple of intrusion events that rely on the TTL field..
 IDS3/Traceroute TCP (ttl=1)
 IDS29/probe-Queso Fingerprint attempt (ttl>225)
 IDS115/Traceroute UDP (ttl=1)
 IDS118/Traceroute ICMP (ttl=1)
 IDS439/probe-myscan (ttl>220)

I think that aside from the special case of traceroute, it would be a bad
idea to create rules based on ttl alone (to do passive os detection for
example).. you would have a steady stream of alerts.  passiveOS.pl or some
other post-processing would be better.

Max