Snort mailing list archives

Re: >2Gb capture files

From: Kiira Triea <kiira-t () mail bsasinc org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

We have a rather high-traffic site, and I just had an embarrasing experience
- the snort machine runs RedHat 7.0, and I was running it under screen, so
that if it dumped core, I'd see the error messages (It hasn't - nice and
stable). However, once the log file reached 2Gb, snort (or glibc) stopped
writing... Losing us 18 days of binary packet captures (doh!)

Anyway, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have a good snort logrotate script?

Redhat should already have logrotate set up and the config
files in /etc/logrotate.d. It is easy just to mod/cut-paste
an entry for any new logs you need to manage.

Kiira