Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS, portscan, & laptops

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew () andrew triumf ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:45:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Brian Caswell wrote:

Never never never never do anything but wave big red flags at yourself
automagicly.  Computers are smart, but computers don't know politics.
Heck, people don't know politics.  Why should computers know any
better?

Well, yes, but I believe that most (all?) of the wide port scans I see are
real and either represenent a compromised machine or a worm, and as such
should be reported quickly and hopefully fixed. I was getting fed up doing
it by hand. This isn't "someone poked port 80 on my PC", but "someone did
a SYN scan for DNS to 13,000 consecutive addresses".

This particular case, I admit, wasn't that but "someone probed 900 UDP
ports on our machine", and if I have more false alerts from portscanning
on single addresses I may drop single address reports.

Ideally of course I would like 0% false alerts and 100% success in
notification. Currently I'm probably running about 1% false alerts and
50% success in notification.

The wider question is, I suppose, what should we report, to whom, and how
quickly. Aside from after-the-fact forensics, if I don't report anything
to anyone I might as well not bother collecting IDS data.
I don't myself particularly care if some kid out there is using his own PC
to scan our address space, but I suspect that if he's broken into
someone elses computer and is using that, that they would indeed care,
and I think that automatic reporting is better than nothing for trying to
tell them.

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF