Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort hardware issues

From: agetchel () kde state ky us
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:09:36 -0400

Hi Paul,
        Snort is not multithreaded and will not be multithreaded (according
to the developers), so it _will not_ take advantage of multiple processors.
There is no portable threading library that would allow Snort to be ported
to the numerous OS's it currently runs on, so the decision was made to keep
portability as a trade-off for SMP capabilities.  IMHO, this is a good
thing.
        The load the system is under _could_ have something to do with the
unresponsiveness of the system, but it shouldn't be so loaded that it can't
respond to ICMP traffic.  Something else seems to be the issue here...

Thanks,
Abe

Abe L. Getchell - Security Engineer
Division of System Support Services