Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error trying to read in tcpdump file

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:21:59 -0400

I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD interchangably for development, they are very
nice, stable development environments.  I prefer OpenBSD as a sensor
platform.  In any case, Snort binary files written on a BSD system
should be readable from just about any other operating system, whereas
logs written on a linux box will be arbitrarily (depending on distro)
incompatable with everything other than their distro.  I'd recommend
using editcap(1) that comes with ethereal to normalize packet logs that
come off linux systems, it does a nice job of fixing the things that
redhat breaks.

     -Marty

Jason Lewis wrote:

Ok....  Which BSD distribution?

I am working on documentation and How-To's for my install and RedHat is the
corporate standard.  I figured I would stay with it, so someone else can
deal with it while I am on vacation.  ;)

It will also make it easy for those new to Snort.

Anyone see any longterm problems?

Jason Lewis
http://www.packetnexus.com
It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure". The people at the
other end of the link know less about security than you do. And that's
scary.