Snort mailing list archives

Snort and IPTables?

From: Louie Martinez <louie () kopykake com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:12:46 -0700

I was wondering if snort only works with ipchain's and not with iptables.

Has anyone got it to work with iptables? I'm currently using shorewall-1.1.7 to manage iptables and I haven't been able to get it to log anything. I created a the following test rule....

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"TCP test rule";)

and it seemed to like that fine and detected all the packets sent with the sample attack script but removing the rule didn't trigger any of the other default snortrules.

Perplexed