Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: SearchSecurity: Medical Devices and Software Security

From: "Goertzel, Karen [USA]" <goertzel_karen () bah com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 14:52:50 +0000

Ever since I read an article about the challenges of remote laser surgery being done by doctors at the Naval Hospital
in Bethesda, MD, via satellite link on wounded soldiers in Iraq, I've been warning for years about the need to apply
software assurance principles to the development and testing - and SCRM to the acquisition - of medical devices and
their embedded software. I'm delighted to see someone with your influence start warning those who confuse software
correctness and safety with software security of the potential havoc that can potentially be wrought by malevolent
actors as these little widgets become increasingly networked and even Internet-accessible.

What I want to know is this: When is someone who can actually make a difference going to FINALLY figure out the real
potential hazards of the Internet of Things. Certain physical systems and devices really should NEVER be connected to
the public Internet - e.g., most Industrial Control Systems, all medical devices, any plane, train, or automobile. And
others really never NEED to be Internet-connected. I mean, do we really, REALLY need to be able to access our
refrigerators or washing machines over the Web? Aren't we all growing obese enough without making things so bloody
convenient that we needn't even walk the 20 feet from the bedroom to the kitchen or laundry room to program the coffee
maker or start another rinse cycle?

Manufacturers of the latter need to stop trying so bloody hard to "improve" products that no longer need improvement.
There does come a time when a technology goes as far as it can go - and any further attempts to "improve" it are either
purely cosmetic, unnecessary, or dangerous. I wish all these manufacturers who waste their times trying to invent a
better toaster would, instead, invent something entirely new to solve a problem that hasn't already been solved quite
adequately for many decades. No wonder American manufacturing is no longer competitive. All they do is continually
rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic to improve the view as the boat sinks, instead of inventing a new means of
transportation that actually CANNOT be taken down by an iceberg.

===
Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Senior Lead Scientist
Booz Allen Hamilton
703.698.7454
goertzel_karen () bah com

"Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard."
- The Doctor