Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Sad state of affairs

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 21:28:38 -0400

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Bobby G. Miller <b.g.miller () gmail com> wrote:
I was just listening to a podcast interviewing a security executive from a
prominent vendor.  The response to vulnerabilities was to raise the
cost/complexity of exploiting bugs rather than actually employing secure
coding practices.  What saddened me most was that the approach was
apparently effective enough.
+1. Software security is in a sad state. What I've observed: let the
developers deliver something, then have it pen tested, and finally fix
what the pen testers find. I call it "catch me if you can" security.

I think the underlying problem is the risk analysis equations. Its
still cost effective to do little or nothing. Those risk analysis
equations need to be unbalanced.

And I don't believe this is the solution:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/opinion/Congress-should-encourage-bug-fixes-reward-secure-systems.
Too many carrots and too few sticks means it becomes more profitable
to continue business as usual.

Jeff