Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: security in open source components

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 07:40:58 -0400

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Johan Peeters <yo () secappdev org> wrote:
I was very happy to see
http://www.sonatype.com/Products/Sonatype-Insight/Why-Insight/Reduce-Security-Risk/Security-Brief.
Finally some attention to the elephant in the room; what is the use of
secure coding if your software depends on third party components with
flaws?
How can I be sure that the binary component my build script retrieves
from, say, Maven Central is the one released by the relevant open
source project? I know there are checksums and such, but I remain to
be convinced that this typically affords adequate protection or that
it even could do so...
The problem with Maven in particular is the project stresses stability
over all others. The project is more than happy to distribute stable,
but buggy, code. How Stable vs Buggy is not muttually exclusive is an
oxymoron to me, though.

Jeff