Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: software security zombies

From: "Wall, Kevin" <Kevin.Wall () qwest com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:40:27 -0500

Gary McCraw wrote:
This month's informIT article covers the zombies:
[snip]
* Software security defects come in two main flavorsā€”bugs at the implementation level (code) and flaws at the
architectural level (design)

So, two questions:
1) How is this (software *security* defects) different than any other software defect?
    It seems to me that these are also 2 main categories of software defects in general.

2) In terms of "flavors", where do you see software security defects arising from either incorrect
    requirements or simply lack of specifications?

My experience with #2 is that poor specifications are a major contributor to software
security defects, more so even than with software defects in general. That's because generally
these specs are usually considered "non-functional requirements" and they get missed
more by systems analysts simply because they are not something that the business
wants and therefore they aren't put into the reqts and thus never get built.

I'm not talking about the pseudo-PCI-like requirements that says things like making
sure that you have no OWASP Top Ten vulnerabilities, but rather actual omission
of requirements such as failure to specify that data must be kept confidential,
or to access this data requires authorization by a certain role, or that an audit
trail must be required for certain actions, etc.

I don't see how you can chalk these sorts of defects up to flaws at the
architecture level (unless you and I have drastically different views of
system architecture). The are outright omissions in the specifications
and because they are not there, the application team never even thinks
about building in that functionality.  Bottom line: I think you are missing
a "flavor".

Thanks,
-kevin
--
Kevin W. Wall   614.215.4788   Qwest Risk Management / Information Security Team
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME