Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: The Organic Secure SDLC

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:53:34 -0400

Try this on for size.  JPMC already uses it in practice.

vBSIMM (BSIMM for Vendors)
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1703668> (April 12, 2011)

gem

On 7/18/11 8:35 PM, "Anurag Agarwal" <anurag.agarwal () yahoo com> wrote:

Gary - So my next question is, can we come up with something like BSIMM
lite, which small or medium size companies with limited resources can use?
Or maybe pluggable modules, which different companies can pick and choose
depending on the time and resources they can allocate to it?

My thought process is since we have a comprehensive list of activities
outlined in BSIMM, we should be able to utilize them unless it is
something
which won't work across various types of organizations or dev teams with
limited resources or other such variables.

What Rohit has outlined in his post is a very small subset of activities
in
a secure SDLC methodology. Agreed, most of the companies are allocating
resources in those activities but that should not be the standard.
Activities like static code analysis or vulnerability assessment should be
used to validate threat mitigation and not a source of identifying them,
since it gives them a false sense of security. The other key element I
think
which is required now is the measurement criteria to generate metrics. (I
don't remember exactly what level of metrics criterias are defined in
BSIMM)
but they are a must for a company to assess if they are maturing in their
process or not otherwise most of the time it ends up being an academic
exercise and gets bypassed as the deadlines gets near.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Anurag Agarwal
MyAppSecurity Inc