Secure Coding mailing list archives

informIT: International Policy and Computer Security

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:39:31 -0400

hi sc-l,

Recently, the White House released a cyber strategy document "International Strategy for Cyberspace."  This month's
informIT article is about my reactions to the document and an ongoing discussion I am having with an international
banking and computer security executive about its implications.  Interestingly, the word "security" is mentioned in the
cyber strategy document more than 80 times, including on the title page, and yet the document does not fall into the
usual Fear Uncertainty and Doubt trap all too common in discussions of computer security.  Instead, the emphasis is on
spreading American ideals and developing international norms that foster a secure and reliable cyberspace.  As the
document says, "the benefits of an interconnected world should not be limited by national borders."

Have a read and pass it on:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1719778

As always, I am interested in your feedback both through email and via the article discussion mechanism.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague