Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Java DOS

From: "Kevin W. Wall" <kevin.w.wall () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:43:32 -0500

On 02/15/2011 11:38 AM, Jim Manico wrote:
[snip[
Ryan Barnett just spit out a new (impressive) mod security rule so you
can tactically patch without touching code (see below).

[snip]
First step is to inspect the ARGS and REQUEST_HEADERS data using a regex
to match on potential floating point payloads -

SecRule ARGS|REQUEST_HEADERS "[0-9\.]{12,}e-[0-9]{3,}"
"phase:2,t:none,t:lowercase,nolog,pass,exec:/usr/local/apache/conf/modsec_c
urrent/base_rules/FloatingPointDoSAttack.lua"

If a payload is found that matches the regex check, ModSecurity will
execute an external Lua script.  The lua script then extracts out
payloads, strips out the "." and then searches for the MagicDoSNumber.  If
this is found, then a TX variable is exported -

Great idea, but the regex still needs work. For instance, one needn't
even use scientific notation at all, unless there is some other
mod_security rule restricting the overall length of an HTTP request
header. E.g.,

where I've omitted the appropriate # of zeros for the sake of readability.

Similarly, one could also write the quality metric using 'e-90' or
'e-3' or whatever; even 'e+2' if I wanted. But the approach is correct;
only the regex needs work unless there's some other mod_security rule
that would catch these things.

-kevin
--
Kevin W. Wall
We cause accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME