Secure Coding mailing list archives

Java DOS

From: Brian Chess <brian () fortify com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:21:40 -0800 (PST)

There's a very interesting vulnerability in Java kicking around.  I wrote about it here:
  http://blog.fortify.com/blog/2011/02/08/Double-Trouble

In brief, you can send Java (and some versions of PHP) into an infinite loop if you can provide some malicious input
that will be parsed as a double-precision floating point number.

This code used to look like the beginnings of some decent input validation:
   Double.parseDouble(request.getParameter("d"));
Now it's the gateway to an easy DOS attack.  (At least until you get a patch from your Java vendor, many of whom
haven't released patches yet.  Oracle has released a patch.  Do you have it?)

Until a few days ago, all major releases of Tomcat made matters worse by treating part of the Accept-Language header as
a double.  In other words, you don't need to have any double-precision values in *your* code for your app to be
vulnerable.

The SC-L corner of the world puts a lot of emphasis on training and on looking for known categories of vulnerabilities.
 That's all goodness.  But this example highlights the fact that we have to build systems and procedures that can
quickly adapt to address new risks.

Brian