Secure Coding mailing list archives

informIT: Efficiency and effectiveness of software security practices

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:21:36 -0500

hi sc-l,

In November we held a BSIMM Community Conference which 20 of the 32 BSIMM2 participating firms attended (see
http://bsimm.com).  The conference was fantastic
<http://www.cigital.com/justiceleague/2010/11/12/bsimm-community-conference/>.  During the conference we included a
workshop on efficiency and effectiveness where we gathered data about how software security initiative executives set
their practice mix to achieve the greatest success.  Sammy and I just wrote up a short article with the data and some
cursory analysis:

Software [In]security: Driving Efficiency and Effectiveness in Software Security
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1671924

Our most interesting observation:
…effort in Penetration Testing starts out very high in young initiatives just getting started and decreases
dramatically as software security initiatives get older.  …there's also an interesting bulge in Architecture Analysis
and Code Review in the middle "adolescent" bucket. …Practices in older organizations are more evenly balanced than
young initiatives or adolescent initiatives.

We've really only scratched the surface of the practice-mix question with this data set.  Plenty of work remains.  (I
think Jeremiah will like the spend data though.)

Your comments, feedback, and use of the data are welcome.

Merry new year everybody.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet