Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: Technology transfer

From: Chris Wysopal <cwysopal () veracode com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:04:52 -0400

Nice article.  There is a piece of this history that predated ITS4 which is L0pht's SLINT which was in 1998 and demoed
to you and John Viega.

Here was our original description:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990209122838/http://www.l0pht.com/slint.html

From the Feb, 1999 web page:

<excerpt>

Source code security analyzers are publicly available in the black hat community and are being used to scan for
exploitable code. SLINT will help you render the PD wares obsolete."

What is it?
SLINT is a core product to be sold into an existing GUI development package.
         - Helps people be proactive while writing secure code by highlighting positional hot spots of exploitable
routines and poor memory allocations.
         - Identifies suspect blocks of code.
         - Makes the task of security review more palatable so you don't need a team of high-level experts to go
through megabytes of code.
         - Supplies solutions and/or alternatives to problem areas.
         - Most security problems could have been fixed at the beginning of development. Secure applications must start
with a secure base. The Best *BANG* for the buck is to be proactive at the start of program creation
         - Easy to implement into existing Y2K code review packages

  What will it examine and on what platforms?

         - Unix/NT
         - C, C++ (JAVA in the future)
         - elf-32 binaries
         - a.out files
         - buffer overflows
         - improper SetUID of files
         - randomness code faults
         - race conditions
         - incorrect access of memory
         - improper flags on critical system calls
         - more?

</excerpt>

Sounds very familiar. It is almost hard to believe that was 12 years ago.

SLINT in turn grew out of the black hat community so I won't claim that L0pht had this idea first, just that we took it
to the "consultingware" level.  I like that term because I lived it with SLINT at L0pht and then UnDeveloper Studio at
@stake which has become the commercial static code analysis service at Veracode.  Our technology at Veracode followed a
similar track that the Cigital to Fortify to HP technology has.

-Chris