Secure Coding mailing list archives

Agile (Scrum) best security practices and experiences?

From: Jari Pirhonen <japi () iki fi>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:41:35 +0300

Hi,

Agile development is spreading fast. I have discussed with many agile/Scrum developers and consultants and asked about security integration. I have got mostly vague answers about general quality enhancements, trusting the team and of course pointers to security critical applications they have developed.

I know about Microsoft SDL guidelines w/ agile development guidelines.

Best practical presntation I've seen comes from Nokia, now also presented at OWASP, http://www.owasp.org/images/c/c6/OWASP_AppSec_Research_2010_Agile_Prod_Sec_Mgmt_by_Vaha-Sipila.pdf

I've also disccussed about agile/security integration with other security professionals and software developers. For example we had a good meeting with nice security/developer mix arranged by Agile Finland and Finnish Information Security Association. Discussion results available here, http://confluence.agilefinland.com/display/af/Secure+software+development+and+agile+methods+-+notes

Now - if anyone could share some *real world* experiences how to make agile/Scrum + security succeed without paralysing the agile team, I would very much like to hear.

What works, what not? How to start? What tasks/tools gives most benefit?

All other insights are welcome also.

regards,
Jari

--