Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: More on Cyber War

From: Benjamin Tomhave <tomhave () secureconsulting net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:53:00 -0400

I love how Howard Schmidt's voice seems to have been lost in the fray,
since his comments came way back in March at RSA.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/schmidt-cyberwar/

Quote:
"There is no cyberwar," Schmidt told Wired.com in a sit-down interview
Wednesday at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco.

"I think that is a terrible metaphor and I think that is a terrible
concept,” Schmidt said. “There are no winners in that environment."

Instead, Schmidt said the government needs to focus its cybersecurity
efforts to fight online crime and espionage.

We should all be used to this drum beat by now, though. This is at least
the 3rd consecutive year (maybe even more like 5th) where there has been
rhetoric about "cyberwar". In previous years it was Air Force generals
posturing for a "cyber command". Now it's Senators (and DHS?) who are
doing the posturing. Asinine? Yes, but isn't much of pure politicking?

fwiw.

-ben