Secure Coding mailing list archives

CERIAS : Beware SQL injections due to missing prepared statement support

From: pmeunier at cerias.purdue.edu (Pascal Meunier)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:10:04 -0400

Actually it's not vulnerable because the strings are escaped first.  My point is simply that using prepared statements
would have been more robust than escaping strings on the client side.  I'm sorry I didn't make that clear, I'll go edit
my post now.

Thanks!
Pascal

Kenneth Van Wyk wrote:
Here's one for the daily UGH!

Great points raised by Pascal Meunier (see below) about poorly
implemented language support for Prepared Statement SQL calls.  In
particular, Python's pyPGSQL actually takes its prepared statement and
translates internally to an old-style concatenated string query, thereby
opening itself up to various SQL injection vulnerabilities.

http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/site/blog/post/beware_sql_injections_due_to_missing_prepared_statement_support/#When:16:32:23Z

Interesting article, Pascal.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Ken

-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk
KRvW Associates, LLC
http://www.KRvW.com

(This email is digitally signed with a free x.509 certificate from
CAcert. If you're unable to verify the signature, try getting their root
CA certificate at http://www.cacert.org -- for free.)