Secure Coding mailing list archives

Positive impact of an SSG

From: chandra at list.org (Pravir Chandra)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 07:59:33 +0000

Yes, I don't think its exclusive to your BSIMM interviews that you found when people put controls into place, they saw
improvement. That's what I (and I'm sure many other consultanting firms) have been doing for years based upon previous
models (CLASP, MS SDL, etc.). Nothing to do with BSIMM per se (actually, most of what DTCC started doing was based on
CLASP), just that they added controls 'early into software development lifecycle' and saw benefit, which isn't
surprising.

That being said, the important part we're missing as 'software security guys' isn't the specification of all the
possible things that an organization *could* do, but rather what a given organization *should* do based on good
business decisions around risk management. And that's the crux of what BSIMM fails to do. By basing the current
maturity model on the collected practices of 9 massive firms that spend the most on that problem, anyone (aside from
firms in a similar situation to your 9) that attempts to apply it to their organization effectively throws risk
management decisions out the window and commits to a much more costly solution than they could have created based on
the knowledge of their own business needs since all the practices are based solely on the behaviors of the select few
firms you interviewed. I'm not discounting the validity of the empirical data, I'm just positting that it isn't
scientifically valid for solving the problem at hand.

I'm interested to hear what you learn when you get to the small and medium sized businesses as well as firms using
agile development models (something I particularly considered and accounted for with SAMM).

Regardless of whether we agree on the percentage of orgs for which a dedicated SSG isn't cost effective, I'm sure we
can agree that affording 'someone in charge of success' doesn't equate to a dedicated SSG. There's a myriad of ways
that can be accomplished in any organizational structure.

Thanks!

p.

Pravir Chandra                      chandra<at>list<dot>org
PGP:    CE60 0E10 9207 7290 06EB   5107 4032 63FC 338E 16E4