Secure Coding mailing list archives

OWASP interviews McGraw (oh my)

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:54:54 -0500

 Some questions that I would have asked:

1. The trend towards offshoring software development is increasing. When
do you think customers will be able to have confidence in the ability of
outsourcing vendors to develop secure software without it being
considered a "special" service?

2. Do you think industry analysts and the media at large are doing a
good enough job of helping raise awareness? What do you think magazines
such as InformationWeek, CIO and Forbes should be doing that they
aren't?

3. While you are an employee of Cigital, what other security firms do
you think offer high quality consulting services in this space?

4. Many organizations no longer budget for "developer" tools. Do you
think that static analysis will fail economically if funding for
development has shifted away from developer activities?

5. What are the gaps that OWASP and other security-oriented communities
aren't yet thinking about?

6. Name some examples of Fortune enterprises whom you think are thinking
about software security correctly?

7. Microsoft is the industry whipping boy and if we acknowledge that
customers may not want them to be more secure as core changes may break
backward compatibility, is software security always doomed to
mediocrity?

8. To become a competent software security professional, what do you
think the ideal career path looks like?

9. What bloggers do you think can bring insight into understanding
secure coding practices?

10. Any opinions on whether Sun, EMC, Oracle and CA are making adequate
progress towards software security being built into their products?