Secure Coding mailing list archives

Root Canal Treatment vs Source Code Review

From: jleffler at us.ibm.com (Jonathan Leffler)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:32:28 -0600

Under the subject "InternetNews Realtime IT News - Merchants Cope With PCI
Compliance", Kenneth Van Wyk <ken at krvw.com> wrote:
[...] In talking with my customers over the past several months, I always
find it interesting that the vast majority would sooner have root canal
than submit their source code to anyone for external review. [...]

There's a simple reason for that reluctance - most people are painfully
aware that their software won't stand the scrutiny that an external review
would entail.

--
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler at us.ibm.com)
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Information Management