Secure Coding mailing list archives

quick question - SXSW

From: arian.evans at anachronic.com (Arian J. Evans)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:07:01 -0700

So two thoughts Ben, purely my 0.02 USD:

1. This is largely the wrong crowd. Designers of small web2.0 stuffs,
particularly the domain of widgets and WS interfaces for all the usual
suspect platforms (flickr, facebook etc.) as well as most startups:

They just don't care.

They will never care.

SXSW has "* long tail" and "* design pattern" 2007 buzzword
compliant presentations.

You could probably get a snazzy "top 5 web2.0 security mistakes
everyone is making" or "Top 5 Security Design-Patterns" in there,
but I don't think it's the right audience. OSCON might be a better
fit, if you praise Ruby and release some open source "security" project.

2. This "security DNA" notion -- I don't really buy it. I don't think
there's a big tipping point coming for "all hands in for writing secure
software" in our near future. Maybe if people start dying because
of insecure software, this will change, but until then ...

I do see increasing awareness is mid to large size organizations
(fortune 2000 +). Developers are more aware and more interested
in security, but mostly in organizations that penalize (fire or
domote) individuals involved in public security blunders.

Overall security is not a feature or a function that you can monetarize.
It's not even cool or sexy. It's an emergent behavior that is only
observed when it is making your software harder to use.

Not until insurance or substantial penalties are the norm (if they are
ever the norm) will we have meaningful quantitative data to drive a
justification for security as a requirement in startup or most open
source software projects. That's my opinion, anyway.

---
Arian J. Evans
Software Security Stuff

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Benjamin Tomhave