Secure Coding mailing list archives

Programming language comparison?

From: cew at ACM.ORG (Craig E. Ward)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:49:51 -0800

My final paper for my masters degree was on how some vulnerabilities
manifest themselves, or fail to manifest, in different programming
languages. I included C, C++, Java, Perl, and Standard ML. The title
of the paper is "Implications of Programming Language Selection On
the Construction of Secure Software Systems." You can find a link to
it at my work web page:
http://www.isi.edu/~cward/papers/LMU/index.html.

One of the points I was trying to make in the paper is that the
security attributes of a programming language were also important to
take into consideration when selecting a language for a particular
task. I'm glad that you're incorporating this into your process.

Craig