Secure Coding mailing list archives

COBOL Exploits

From: vanderaj at owasp.org (Andrew van der Stock)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:58:16 -0500

I've been researching web app -> mainframe security from a software
engineering perspective for about the last six months. If anyone from
a mainframe background wants to collaborate, I'd be more than happy to
share as I have a few challenges:

a) I'm working from secondary resources (web pages, manuals, PDFs)
b) I don't have access to a z/OS or similar system and thus cannot
mock up a test environment to prove or disprove my hypotheses on how
best to prevent certain classes of attack
c) I really don't have a lot of experience with z/OS, COBOL, DB2, IMS,
or CICS. Therefore, I could be missing some great resources and
features.

Saying that, I have made a bit of headway by applying first principles
and trying to discover what is available to assist and protect against
certain threats and attacks. I've just posted a draft entry to my blog
detailing the first (and I mean first) post I've had brewing since May
this year. It's nowhere near as good as I would have liked.

I don't do exploits. You will not be seeing any "how to hax0rs b1g
ir0n" from me. I don't see the relevance of arming script kiddies.
Only the architects and developers need to know how to develop and
maintain safer designs and code, and folks like me need to know what
to look for to make sure it's in place.

That said, from my personal research, this area is a total greenfield.
The folks who know mainframe security simply don't come out of their
shells often enough. They have the goods, but the goods are not really
well known amongst the architects and devs I've dealt with. Most of
the business folks who ask for their shiny new dodgy code to talk to
old dodgy transactions don't see this risk and refuse to pay to have
qualified folks review and remediate the security of the mainframe
side. They see it as this reliable old workhorse - which is not broke,
so don't fix it. And in my personal experience, they NEVER fix it.

On another note, I'm really happy to see Fortify tackle the mainframe
with their SCA products. It's really late and delayed, but better late
than never. I know a bunch of sites that could use that tool if it
works even 1% as well as the marketing is likely to make out.

thanks,
Andrew van der Stock
Executive Director, OWASP
Project Lead & Author, OWASP Guide