Secure Coding mailing list archives

Mainframe Security

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth Van Wyk)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 21:32:56 -0400

On Nov 1, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Johan Peeters wrote:
sSince so much of the financial
services industry is powered by COBOL, I would have thought that
someone would have done a thorough study of COBOL's security posture.

I certainly have not found one. Anyone else?

Just a couple random(ish) observations here...

1) I believe that COBOL is still behind the *vast* majority of
financial transactions today.  I don't know the %, but I'd bet it to
be close to 100%.

2) It's been my experience that COBOL folks (read: "mainframe
programmers") tend to frown on the Internet, the web, and such.
However, in talking with them, it's often useful to say that they're
likely to have to interface with "internet folks" via SOA and other
mechanisms, so it's worth their while to understand the security
problems that "those guys" face, such as XSS and SQL/XML injection (a
handy tip I picked up from Andrew van der Stock -- thanks Andrew!).

So what's my point?  It's this: I've often found the "mainframe crowd"
to be reluctant to even talk about software security because there
seems to be a pervasive attitude that it's not their problem.  After
all, the mainframe architectures they're familiar with have had
secure, trustworthy networks and such for decades, right?  Well,
easing them into a discussion by simply pointing out that they should
be aware of the issues that the "internet folks" have to deal with
because they *need* to interface with them can help things along.

Lastly, I noticed that at least one static code analysis tool
(Fortify) now supports COBOL.  I'm not yet sure what things they scan
for, and I'm *far* from COBOL literate myself, but I figure it's got
to be good news re James's point.

Cheers,

Ken

-----