Secure Coding mailing list archives

How big is the market?

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:16:33 -0400

Hi sc-lers,

At s3con this week I gave a keynote about the state of the practice in
software security.  Some of what I said is captured in my darkreading
column this month:

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=122253&WT.svl=column1_1

There are a couple of things worth noting.  First of all, the article
has some numbers in it that show how the market is growing.  I believe
we attained a $200-275 million level in 2006.  Things look like they are
continuing to grow as well.

Second, this article discusses a few ways for a corporation to get
started with software security, from the kinds of full blown initiatives
that we recommend at Cigital to easier baby steps with badness-ometers
like SPI Dynamics and Watchfire.

Please do what you can to spread the word about this article so that
people outside of our specialty get a feeling for what is happening.
Software security is growing, and the growth is strong and consistent.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague