Secure Coding mailing list archives

FW: What's the next tech problem to be solvedin softwaresecurity?

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:12:23 -0400

At 9:51 PM +0100 6/9/07, David Crocker wrote:

If instead we pay people to perform the more skilled tasks of establishing
requirements and specifying the systems to meet them, and use computers to
generate programs that meet the specifications, then such things as freedom from
buffer overflow come free of charge. By "freedom" here, I don't mean the sort of
freedom that comes in "safe" languages such as Ada and Java - in which the
buffer overflow raises an exception, probably requiring a restart of the
subsystem

In my experience with Ada 83, the potential for buffer overflow is detected
at compile time.  When I get an unexpected runtime exception, it is almost
always at the interface to another language.
--
Larry Kilgallen