Secure Coding mailing list archives

[WEB SECURITY] Wordpress website hacked, wordpress backdoored

From: bugtraq at cgisecurity.net (bugtraq at cgisecurity.net)
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:07:22 -0500 (EST)

 a) the final binaries were the ones infected (very easy to detect (imagine
if the infected code was actually from 'real' SVN source code and made from
a 'trusted' developer))
 b) by the speed this was detected the exploit (and the blog page didn't
give a lot of details about it) must have been a very 'HEY I AM A
BACKDOOR!!!!' kind of code.  A real exploit would be one that (using a .NET

those curious of the code differences. Given the brazen addition of multiple functions (instead of modifying an
existing one
to make it vulnerable) we're probably not looking at the highest caliber of attacker here.

And OWASP uses WordPress (although Mike tells me that we were not affected)
for our blogs

Thanks for sharing about what OWASP runs. Not sure how this ties into the thread though.
Again hats off to Ivan Fratric for spotting this before it became a much larger issue.

Regards,

- Robert
http://www.cgisecurity.com/ Application Security news and more
http://www.cgisecurity.com/index.rss [RSS Feed]