Secure Coding mailing list archives

differences between Threat Analysis and Threat Modeling

From: list-procurare at secureconsulting.net (Benjamin Tomhave)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:30:59 -0500

Jason,

I differentiate between the two like this:

Threat Analysis looks at specific threats (e.g., msblaster, zotob, latest
exploit of <pick your fav sw/os>).
Threat Modeling looks at classes of threats (e.g., network-distributed
malware, OS vulnerabilities of Type).

Threat analysis is used as a component to various assessment techniques
(vulnerability scanning, code review, etc.).  The aggregation of data from
multiple threat analyses within a define class of threat can then be used to
develop a model of that threat.  Threat modeling can then be used to look at
the overall security and resilience of a system, instead of focusing on the
minutae of every individual threat.  Ergo, foci on anti-virus, OS hardening,
patch management, etc.  Practices developed in response to the modeling of
classes of threats, the models for which were developed from analysis of the
threats that resulted in their classification.

Or something like that...

cheers,

-ben

---
Benjamin Tomhave, CISSP, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM
falcon at secureconsulting.net
Web: http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/
LI: http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=
<http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1539292> &key=1539292
Blog: http://www.secureconsulting.net/
Photos: http://photos.secureconsulting.net/

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all
citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression,
any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-President Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  _____