Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: compliance

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:25:07 -0500

At 9:29 AM -0400 3/30/07, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:

SOX has been a complete waste, imo.  First, the majority of it was already
covered in existing law.  Second, it really has nothing to do with security
from a practical standpoint.  The only purpose SOX has served is to give
auditors another source of revenue.  And, worse than that, it initially gave
auditors the appearance of more power and responsibility, which I saw
carried out in external auditors trying to dictate to businesses how the
business should operate (and not in a good way).  Talk about a fundamental
violation of independence and objectivity.  The pendulum has fortunately
swung back on that trend.

PCI DSS, on the other hand, has been a very good effort with real,
meaningful results.  Why is this?  Well, for one thing, it's specific.  As
opposed to SOX, which paints with broad strokes and focuses on truth in
reporting (gross oversimplification), PCI DSS goes into technical detail on
what activities must be implemented, what minimum measures are for adequate
security in a system, etc.  Perhaps the best example of this thought is
section 3.6 in DSS v1.1, where it details the minimum requirements for key
management.  It makes my job much easier having this level of detail, with
much less left to interpretation (again, unlike SOX, where almost everything
is open to interpretation and the whim of your auditors).

That parenthetical comment is almost verbatim the description of SOX
I received from someone who is subject to SOX audits.

My own nomination for specificity in security standards is NIST Special
Publication 800-53 (currently at Revision 1).

   http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/index.html#sp800-53-Rev1

Through all the controls there is only one requirement with which I disagree.
--
Larry Kilgallen