Secure Coding mailing list archives

Economics of Software Vulnerabilities

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:44:43 -0400

Kevin, I would love to see open source communities embrace secure coding practices with stronger assistance from
software vendors in this space. This of course requires going beyond "audit" capability and figuring out ways to get
the tools into developers hands.

As a contributor to open source projects, I struggle with introducing security as I already contribute my time with the
support/blessing of my significant other but she wouldn't let me spend hard cash on tools for contributing to open
source. I wish there was a better answer for us all in this seat.

Generally speaking, many of my peers outside of work contribute to open source with the rationale that it a safer place
from a political perspective to try things out, kinda like a POC where the outcome doesn't have to be successful and it
won't show up on your annual review. Lately, I haven't figured out how to reduce my own exposure...