Secure Coding mailing list archives

Economics of Software Vulnerabilities

From: gem at cigital.com (Gary McGraw)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:23:06 -0400

In my opinion, though fuzz testing is certainly a useful technique (we've used it in hardware verification for years),
any certification based solely on fuzz testing for security would be ludicrous.  Fuzz testing is not a silver bullet.

The biggest stumbling block for software certification is variability in final environment.

gem

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague