Secure Coding mailing list archives

Disclosure: vulnerability pimps? or super heroes?

From: BlueBoar at thievco.com (Blue Boar)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:26:00 -0800

Kenneth Van Wyk wrote:
So, I applaud the public disclosure model from the standpoint of
consumer advocacy.  But, I'm convinced that we need to find a process
that better balances the needs of the consumer against the secure
software engineering needs.  Some patches can't reasonably be produced
in the amount of time that the "vulnerability pimps" give the vendors.

From the outside, it looks like the vast majority of the patches take as
long as the vendor feels like taking. With a small percentage of
vulnerabilities being released with no vendor warning at all. It's
relatively unusual that I see bulletins where the researcher releases
saying that the vendor took too long, so they are releasing now.

But that's just going from memory, I haven't done a proper survey or
anything.

                                        BB