Secure Coding mailing list archives

Fwd: re-writing college books - erm.. ahm...

From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:01:13 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Julie J.C.H. Ryan wrote:
Folks, I've been forwarding select messages from this listserv to my
nephews, who are undergrads in CS at some fairly reknown
universities, which shall remain nameless cause it would embarrass
the heck out of them to have the following sentiment aired......

Begin forwarded message:

ya, as per one of your previous emails, we are still taught to use
only printf and random stuff like that. printf was even incorporated
into java 1.5 because "it was so good." But right now I think we are
really just learning base algorithms and ideas rather than security
practices. Hell, I talked to my student advisor and apparently I can't
even take security courses till I'm working on a masters degree.

Well, I never recieved any replies here on what's already being done.. so
now, I am asking for ideas on how we can approach schools. What's needed,
in order for basic CS classes to have a security orientation?

        Gadi.