Secure Coding mailing list archives

re-writing college books - erm.. ahm...

From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:23:34 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Robert C. Seacord wrote:
Gadi,

I feel like I've been here before, but I'll give it another shot anyway.

Okay, than let's make some progress:
1. Where and who is currently involved with doing this?
2. What are they doing?
3. Can we use their experience to make it a larger success?
4. How do we begin doing something large-scale?

The Secure Coding Initiative at CERT has a web site at
www.securecoding.cert.org.  The purpose of this site is to collect
secure coding recommendations and rules for various programming
languages.  Our initial focus has been C and C++, but we are willing and
interested in expanding this effort to other programming languages
provided that we can find someone to manage the efforts.

The C and C++ material on the site will be used as supplemental material
to the Addison-Wesley book "Secure Coding in C and C++" in a "Secure
Programming" course I am teaching this Spring at CMU (so it is being
used to teach, as well as being a commercial and government resource).
I am also working with other instructors at other educational
institutions to develop secure coding curriculum.

We misunderstand each other. I am not speaking of a secure coding book, I
am speaking of "Introduction to Computer Science" and "The C programming
Language".

If we can use what you have already worked on to supplament these courses,
then all for the better!

We have had significant community effort in the development of these
secure coding standard practices so far, but we can use all the help we
can get.  If you would like to get involved, go the sight, sign up, and
start reviewing the material.  If you are qualified and would like to
edit the material directly, send me email and I will grant you edit
permissions.

I doubt I am that much of a good coder anymore.

I think having a body of knowledge that identifies insecure coding
practices and provides secure alternatives is a good first start, and
not as easy as it sounds.

Agreed!
Nice work on all that!

---------

I also had another thought about improving the quality of code examples
in texts.  I know my publisher (Addison-Wesley), and I'm sure others,
are very concerned about quality.  I could ask my editor if they would
be willing to make sure that someone with a security background reviewed
any new programming texts.  If we can come up with a list of subject
matter experts willing to review new texts, I'm guessing they would be
very happy to have our feedback.

That sounds like a very good idea! I am sure many would agree to get some
extra cash for reviewing, thing is, that doesn't pay very well.

rCs